A gap-year or leave of absence is the temporary and voluntary suspension of studies, in order to acquire a professional and personal experience.
- Decree n°2018-372 of the 18 May 2018 on the temporary suspension of studies in state establishments dispensing initial courses in higher education.
- Bulletin n°2019-030 of the 10 April 2019 on the implementation of the temporary suspension of studies called leave of absence in public establishments.
A gap-year can be carried out between the beginning of the first year but cannot be after the last year of the curriculum.
It is possible to have a gap-year:
– in the 1st or 4th year provided that prior administrative inscription has been made.
– during studies, after obtaining a minimum of 60 ECTS
– between the 3rd and 4th year provided students have been admitted into 4th year.
– exceptionally between the 4th and 5th year
It cannot occur between the 2nd and 3nd year.
Different types of leave
1. Experience in a professional environment in France and abroad..
- Traineeship in connection with the educational pathway
- Work contract
- Unpaid voluntary work
2. Training in a field different from the one the student has enrolled in:
- Civic Service in France or abroad, which can be in the form of international solidarity volunteering; international volunteer work in an administration or in a company or in a European volunteer service.
- At Orleans School of Art and Design, between the 4th and 5th year, a gap-year taken as a training period aims at deepening the student’s plastic and theoretical research in France and abroad.
Terms and Conditions
Students must submit their projects the Studies Manager at Orleans School of Art and Design. They must join a letter of application explaining the nature, terms of implementation and goals of their project (the deadline for the application is : 5 July in the current year).
Acceptance or refusal
The Studies Manager at Orleans School of Art and Design shall state acceptance or refusal in a written reply, within two months following reception of the request.
In case of acceptance, a contract between Orleans School of Art and Design and students is mandatory. Students remain registered at Orleans School of Art and Design which issues a student card to its students.
Orleans School of Art and Design provides educational mentoring and supports the students in the preparation of this period and the drawing up of the assessment.
No ECTS are given during the gap year.
Students must pay tuition fees and the Student Life and Campus Contribution (CVEC) to Orleans School of Art and Design. It is eligible for student grants or social aid.
Affiliation to the student social security.